Friday, April 6, 2012

Fragment: Warren Fahy




Fragment-Warren Fahy

***
When I began reading this book I admit I had slightly high expectations because my friend was speaking verses about its superiority. Though I was slightly skeptical about its possibility to be original, mainly because it said on the cover, “Jurassic Park for the lost generation.” I got my hands on a copy and began reading to find a slightly hollow cast. I didn’t find many dense qualities about any of the characters. The actions were all noble that they carried out yet they were completely vague. I could tell one man wrote this book. I prefer for a book to seem written by all the characters together and the author only takes charge of the plot.

This plot felt sort of scattered. As though the exposition and the rising action fell into the same category. The middle of the book lagged on for to long and I understand it was in an effort to bring new characters in and help you still know them regardless of the fact that they were not in the original “crew” in the first place. The information was very interesting. That is mainly what kept me reading. I learned facts in science I never thought of before. I would have to peg Fahy as a science man due to the book containing pages of scientific banter and straying from the original plot. It was almost too detailed for a book, yet  great for a television series.

I will not reread this book though it is one of the memorable of the books I have read do to the unusual setting and the fact that just when you get to like a character, they seem to die. On a latter note, and perhaps it was my fault for not paying attention, but I found I didn’t know one of the main characters was African American until near the end of the book. Therefore my view was distorted through certain scenes and remained so until the end of the book because I had already created an image of this character.

No comments:

Post a Comment